Thursday 30 September 2010

Getting my home studio ready.

Hello,
I have finally gotten a light stand for my softbox. Yey I am very happy about that I have now been re-arranging the furniture around a bit in my office slash junk room to also now be office/studio/junk room it is a good thing it is a big room so that I can manage to have a combo room like this. I was for a while thinking that I should get the one bedroom apartment next door as my studio since then I have more space and close to home but there have been guys working on that apartment for the last couple of days so I guess we are getting a neighbor and it will not be called Helens Studio I am afraid. Shame but then I at least have everything I might need close by and I can sit and edit images in my tracksuit bottoms!! So I guess something good comes out of that. :-) I also would not have this great combo room or should I say would not need to have a combo room. I actually have a whole apartment in one room because this room has the en-suite bathroom I have the refrigerator in here as well, that is solemnly due to how they have built the kitchen in this Egyptian apartment not the most cleaver design made in Egypt not like the pyramids. The previous tenants had the refrigerator in the living room but I do not want to sit and watch TV next to the fridge. So instead I have very easy access to cold refreshing drinks in my office :-)
Anyway now I need to get a background drop for my home studio. I have just noticed that our walls have the same colour, light yellow, as the ceiling. Is that normal? I thought most apartments had the ceiling white? Anyway not our Egyptian apartment, there might be a slight shade difference but not a lot that is for sure.
The other day I met a friend that have lived in Sharm el Shekih for years I think from its start of being a tourist destination, I ran into him by accident but I took the great opportunity to ask him where there is a fabric shop in Sharm. I am now going down there next week to take a look and see if I can find anything that will work as a great backdrop for my studio. Wish me luck I got a feeling I might need it. If I can't find anything in Sharm that is suitable Cairo is my next bet to finding one unless I simply paint the wall  :-)
I also need to get hold of a model so that I can try it all out. Let me know if there are any takers out there that lives nearby. My hubby is very resistant when it comes to me photographing him unless he is on the golf course then he does not mind too much since he is busy golfing. He just does not have the patience to stand/sit still for even 5 minutes. The best picture I have of him is one I took years ago in England we were there on holiday he had no idea I was taking a picture of him it's on my night stand now. I can not for my life remember where the soft copy is right now otherwise I could show it to you now.
Hope you are having as good a day as I am.
All the best till next time.
Helen

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wishing you all the best, Helen! Hope you can persuade your husband to be a more willing model. :-)
Diane

hshippey said...

Me to!